This blog is designed to make you "think". Also to encourage,exhort,edify and "Warn" the saints of God as we see the day of The Lord on the horrizon.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Meditation As The Bible Teaches It

















This blog has been inspired by a comment I received to a blog I did in September Titled
“Hinduism, Roman Catholicism, and The International House of Prayer.”
http://justtomakeyouthink.blogspot.com/2008/09/hindusim-roman-catholicsm-international.html

The following comments from an anonymous individual on that particular blog, have been edited.
Quote from anonymous:
“Contemplative prayer has been around before the institution of Hinduism. Mediation is a Christian discipline. Have you read “blank’s” book on Christian disciplines? End Quote

Contemplation: The act of considering with attention: Study, the act of regarding steadily, as in:
2nd Timothy 2: 15
15Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

We are to pray in the Spirit, (meaning the Holy Spirit) and pray with the understanding also (of His Word and His will.) One cannot pray in the Spirit however if one does not have of His Spirit. If one has not of His Spirit they are none of His.

Quote from anonymous :
These practices are are rich part of Christian practice which were forfeited then counterfeited by the Adversary.
A major Protestant who is discovering this is “Blank”. Look for his book. He is a PCA pastor. End Quote

I would strongly suggest that a child of God go to the Word of God when seeking to understand the Biblical meaning of meditation, not to some book a man has written on the subject.
To meditate in the Biblical sense of the word = means to ponder the truths of Gods Word.
Ponder = means to weigh in your mind, think about quietly, soberly and deeply. It means to reflect deeply and take to heart what the Word of the Lord is saying to you.
Meditate in the scriptural sense = means to think on the Word of God in your mind and study and memorize and hide it in your heart.

Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Quote from anonymous :
I was a sceptic of Christian spirituality (contemplatives)as I hold three degrees. By God's grace I see the power of apostolic prayer and intercession.
I was dry empty and made no impact with my knowledge, not I feel alive and and impact my community.
"May God make the light of His countenance shine on you." Sound mystical? (its found in Numbers 6).” End Quote

Numbers 6:22-27 is not intended to sound “mystical”.
It was a blessing that was to be bestowed upon the children of Israel by the priests of God. It was bestowing the favor of God upon them, as long as they walked in His commandments.
Psalms 31:16 also speaks of Gods favor being requested by His servant David. As is
Psalms 67:1 in asking for God’s face to shine upon them they were seeking God’s favor upon them.

Galatians 1:6-9
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Biblical meditation means that we are to focus our thoughts and bring our minds into subjection and reflect on what the scripture is saying. Also how we are to apply it to our lives that we might grow thereby. It’s about learning of God and about drawing closer to God, by bringing our minds into subjection to Him and His Word. This is all so that we may learn how to manifest the character and nature of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.

Meditation for the Christian is not about relaxation, it’s not about going to your happy place, as you chant some magic word in order to get your self worked into a mystical stupor or trance, before you can meditate upon the Word of Truth.

Neither is it about seeking a prayer partner from amongst the dead. It is forbidden of God, for the child of God to seek to the dead for anything. It is not about seeking God to manifest himself in bodily form before you.
Neither is it of any consequence what bodily position you take in prayer, it is not about us being comfortable, rather about us being humble and truthful before God.

Neither is it as some would have you to believe, to go into a place of your own minds creation or imagination. The Word of God tells us to cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against God.

Meditation of God’s Word is not intended to be some cultic out of body experience.

Psalm 119:97-104
O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
102 I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

Precepts: A commandment issued by God to His children.
Jesus said if we love Him we will keep His commandments.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

God looks upon the heart, God knows the very thoughts and intents of our hearts.
He also knows that men's hearts are desperately wicked. We cannot trust our hearts we can only trust the written Word of God. We cannot trust every Spirit that comes along either, but we are to test the Spirits, to see they are of God.
1John 4:1-3
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
I would highly recommend against any child of God participating in any type of worldly meditation techniques lest they invite an ungodly spirit that they cannot rid themselves of.

5 comments:

Diana Kukk said...

You have done an excellent job of showing, from the Scriptures, exactly what meditating on God's word is and is not.

We would all be a lot better off learing what the Word of God says and not what someone has made up, in his own mind, how we should meditate upon His word.

Thank you, dear sister, for posting this!

A Seed Sower said...

God bless you my dear sister creeky, I pray that peoples eyes would be open to the Truth.

Anonymous said...

Lord bless you a seed sower! This really clears up some things I have sought the Lord about when I wait upon the Lord. It is confirmation from the Lord concerning His Word about this subject. I came out of a movement that relied on techniques and ways of meditating on God that were not of Him. Thanks so much for this teaching.

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight O LORD, my strength and my redeemer"
Amen!

Rich Grube
(rich and judy)

A Seed Sower said...

Praise God for His great goodness to us all. It is so wonderful how He confirms His Word, that we may know and be reassured in Him and the Truth of His Word.
I am so very blessed to know that He has allowed me to be useful. It is my honor and privilidge and my reasonal service to the Lord. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your testimony through your comments Rich and Judy.

randy said...

As His children, we are admonished to set our minds on things above, where God is.

It is a permanent mindset; not a set time of meditation every day; our entire mind is to be filled with Godly behavior,thoughts, prayer and intent.

He is already in us; Yeshua prayed that we would be ONE with the Father and Him. What more can we possibly ask for? He has already given it to us. Do we now need something else??

Excellent points and Scripture text, Sister Helen. Thank you for the thought provoking blog.

Our everything is contained in Him already; if not, then self examination is necessary. He will fill in the gaps that are in our soul with His Spirit, His mind, and His grace and peace.