This blog is designed to make you "think". Also to encourage,exhort,edify and "Warn" the saints of God as we see the day of The Lord on the horrizon.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Knowledge Puffs up, but Charity Edifys!


I have been doing some observing of late with some of the folks who espouse the pre-trib rapture theory - (as in theory of evolution) no I do not class all pre-trib rapture folks in this category that I am about to describe -but as I said I have been watching the online discourse of a few.

The thoughts that went through my mind were:

Where is the charity?
Where is the love of the brethren?
Where is the civility?
Where is the humility?

It was sorely lacking I am afraid!

In most Internet encounters when folks have never even met each other, some can jump to unjust conclusions, and rip into someone they don't even know. We as the children of God are to judge righteous judgment. Some rip into those who's lives they have no clue about, they can not possibly make a righteous judgment.

I am not referring to false teachers, who blatantly put false teachings out publicly. Nor am I saying that false teaching should not be challenged. What I do warn you of however is that if you are going to zero in on someone whom you think is in error, or in sin, then your own heart and life had better be squeaky clean before God.

I observed what took place back in the day when Jim Bakker was in sin, and I watched as Jimmy Swaggart was interviewed on the national news...He made the statement that "Jim Bakker is a cancer that needs to be removed from the body of Christ".

The spirit of God welled up in me in the most unusual way at the time, and I knew this was a mistake on his part. Low and behold, it was not to long before God allowed Jimmy Swaggart's sin (which God knew, when the world didn't) to be exposed, and he to fell from grace with the public. So those who are always in a rush to judgment and ready to read someone the riot act, had best pay heed! God is not mocked!

Listen saints if we profess to have all knowledge, and all faith that we could remove mountains and have not charity we are as a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol to God.

Many it seems forget that they are mere servants of the Most High God, and that He alone is LORD over the flock.

Many get down right sinful in their reactions, to one whom they consider to be less knowledgeable than themselves. I have seen this, not just with a few of the pre-trib rapture brethren, but with others who hold to pet doctrines, or some knowledge of the Word they think they alone possess.

Many, in their zeal to be proven right, or considered super spiritual, become rude and arrogant and false accusers, and completely un-Christ like. If you don't agree 100% with them, well that's it for you, it becomes open season to attack. Oh my how many have little fear of God, the one whom they profess to serve!

God doesn't take lightly to his children being called idiots, or worse. Let me tell you many tread on shaky ground, and shall give account for every idle word they utter. Many assume to much of others, many attack God's servants, their fellow servants, this is not good.

Christ warned that these things would happen as the day of His appearing drew nearer.
Matthew 24: 48-51
48. But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49. And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50. The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51. And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

What does the word smite mean? It means to afflict to strike-we can strike with our words, we can cause pain, distress and grief by our words. So we need to remain civil with one another, even with those whom we disagree, because we will all give account. By our words we will be justified and by our words we will be condemned.

Knowledge that is not tempered with wisdom, and charity, and humility, will puff up a soul, and cause that person to think more highly of themselves than they ought!
Remember, when you get to Heaven God is not going to be so impressed with how "right" you were about everything, and everyone, but how you treated your fellow servants.

3 comments:

randy said...

Amen Sister Helen; I know exactly of what you speak from personal experience.

Perhaps 12 years ago there were three of us at my place of employment that most considered to be " on fire for God..."

One of the brother's got involved with a girl we worked with and I could not believe my eyes! How could you be so stupid was my reply! What kind of witness is that?? Is God not enough; you need someone else who will bring you down to the pit of despair??

I did not give this brother any mercy, compassion and I did not even want to uderstand the battle he was facing. I do not even remember if I even prayed for him; I was to much into condemnation.

Oh what a serious error on my part! Several years later I was facing something similar to his situation. It is as if something came over me, a cloud or something, a darkness, and no matter how hard I resisted it would not leave. Even after prayer it would leave briefly, only to return again.

I learned a very serious lesson from that experience. Perfect love coveres a multitude of sins. Mercy and reconciliation is what God is interested in. We were all born in sin and iniquity and only the blood of Christ cleanses from sin; nothing else; not good deeds, not prayers or church attendance, not witnessing to others, nothing but the blood of Christ.

We are to counsel those who fall short; I fall short from time to time and I thank God He has sent spiritually mature messages and a retired minister my way to correct mistakes. We are to be weary of falling ourselves and becoming entrapped in the very sin we are seeing in others; lest we fall also!

Spiritual issues run deeper than any of us imagine. Only the daily continuing presence of the Holy Spirit in us, as we yield to Him, protects each of us in our daily walk.

Intercession on behalf of others carries great effect with God. For example; Moses interceeding for rebellious Israel, Jeremiah, Isaiah and the Prophets praying for their nation, Jesus crying and weeping over Jerusalem.

Excellent examples for all Believers to follow.

The great Ones did not walk around with bats and clubs looking for a fallen one to beat on the head! I repented repeatedly over the incident from years ago when I had little mercy.

Diana Kukk said...

Dear sister, this brings to mind the scripture that in Jesus' own words said: And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ Matt. 25:40

The word has a lot to say about how we are to conduct ourselves and how we are to speak to others. Here is just one sample from James 3

8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.

10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?

12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

13Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

I can't believe that someone who calls himself a child of God would hurl insults at a brother or sister. If you don't agree then just leave it at that. Our Lord doesn't care about our silly disputes; however He does care about how we treat one another.

Love you, dear sister!

A Seed Sower said...

I also, Bro Randy, have had to repent of unkind things I have said to the brethren at different times since I was saved. Thank God that He is righteous and just to forgive us our sins when we are truly sorry.
Many young christians can get over zealous sometimes, and old ones some times can get a tad on the judgmental side...but so long as we love God, He will pull on our reigns, and chastize us, and bring us into order...Amen!
Oh and Creekers thanks for the good scriptures sister friend!
Love you brethren, fellow servants!